Monday, April 11, 2011

St. Louis Marathon - the Story

This is what did happen - see previous post about Itinerary.
Itinerary - Saturday
Jill, my friend picked me up at home and we proceeded to St. Louis without a hitch - just a huge thunderstorm while driving was all. We arrived and went to the Expo which was ok but less than desirable - you pay $5 for 30 minutes and there were no maps given out or video showing the course. All the running shirts I might have bought were gone (size-wise) but it was beautiful outside.
Food & Jog
We ate at St. Louis Bread Company (a Panera) and then to the hotel for early check-in. LOVED THIS HOTEL!!! (Drury Inn - Union Station) I then got 2 miles jog in which was hot but worth it to see where approximately the finish line is according to the map. I also got to go through the outside of Union Station and it was so nice - wished Mark & Ian were there to experience it. (I figured well, tomorrow I'll eat my celebration dinner here! and walk around).
Driving the Route
Jill and I then drove the course (or attempted to) - we got lost several times and had to backtrack - and then got in traffic which took us about 2 hours to get through the course. [I wanted to scream but it was probably good b/c I really did get to see the surroundings of most of the course except for Forest Park since there were no road sign labels on the map or descriptions].
Kickback-the Pre-Race Meal
Alas, we got back to the hotel and ate at the Kickback - two baked potatoes for me which were wonderful and water, water, water. We relaxed and read the rest of the evening and then slept (some).

Sunday - Marathon Race Day
The Prep

Got out of bed about 5:45am EST b/c I couldn't sleep anyway and began to get ready and just took my time - the start was literally around the corner from the hotel not 10 blocks as I had originally thought. Jill just laid there and laid there and laid there LOL - she thought she had another hour and finally I said "Um, Jill 30 minutes!" She got up and bolted to the shower to get ready and felt so bad. It was ok.
The Start
We got to the start which was good and got into my corral and just talked, prayed and then I watched people talking about their strategies and lives. It was interesting. I lined up with the 4:15 pace group & knew what the 4:30 pace group looks like [I didn't want to see them pass me.] I have never actually been at any starting line for the National Anthem (besides a mini in Nashville) so it was nice to be prepared. It was a little over 70 degrees already and the announcer kept repeating "it will not be ideal conditions, drink at all the water stops". I thought ok I will plus my fuel belt, I had a plan and my GU's were planned at miles 4, 8, 12, 16, 19, 23 to get me through - I carried 4 of them & was to pick up 2 on the course.
Miles 1-6
They were good and ok, some downhill, steady uphill, ran by Anheuser-Busch Brewery (woop, ok) and back to downtown, a good wind. Once we got to the tall buildings - oh it felt so good. Good wind with warm temps in the SHADE. I just followed at this point and knew the street signs but just went along - hydrating at every mile marker with my belt plus the water stops (which were crazy but doable). Just knew once I got these miles under my belt - my legs would kick into pace.
Miles 6-9 steady
A straight away on Olive St. that was up and down, rolling and I felt my left knee the entire way - kept thinking "ok God, if this knee begins to really hurt then I will begin talking to these lovely people along the way." I actually began saying brief things to people (some of the mini-marathoners were struggling by then so I encouraged them) or commented on outfits. :)
I was close to mile 7 and knew I would see Jill soon and either ditch the fuel belt or refill my powerade. I opted to refill since the water stops already weren't necessarily where they said they would be according to the map. I did not regret that decision.
Miles 10-12 kind of lonely
Once we left the mini-marathoners (by then I had already seen two people getting medical attention and I'm thinking - look away Kara don't psych yourself out, but internally was a little scared)...anyway we left the other runners and it was just marathons & relayers. I know have a new appreciation for relay runners. As much as I don't care for people with fresh legs when I'm running 26 miles - it did help to populate the course and with morale. We got on Forest Park road and it's just cement...on the sides, in front of you and even above you with road-ways (depressing). We got into the park and it was steady uphill and curvy. Again I grabbed my water or powerade at every mile marker. And then little by little (note this does not happen & has never happen while I have run)...my bladder began to leak. So each time I took in water and even began to walk a little to grab a water, water immediately left my body - not in one big woosh - well sometimes but otherwise the rest of my body was so wet from sweating and from running through some sprinklers at different points that you couldn't tell - thank goodness! and it was happening to others because I watched.
1/2 mile Refueling then On
So I knew that every time I walked at all (which was through waters stops that I would then have to keep drinking so from then on)--- every 1/2 mile I was drinking and refueling (mind you I got a 4:26 so imagine if I hadn't done that every 1/2 mile - 4:10-4:15 would have been attainable or heat exhaustion could have gotten me). I think God has His plan right there b/c otherwise I would not have refueled as often thinking I'm ok.
Miles 13-14
Still in the park - luckily it was flat and so wonderful to cross that 13 miles mark - I just yelled out "Half-way, yes!" and got a few smiles. I just wanted to get out of the park and into the shade which was mile 15. By the way - the race guide said there would be gels at mile 14 - there were not. It was at the end of mile 14 and that makes a difference!
Miles 15-17 Hardest
It was loooonnnnggg and forever - we're still heading away from downtown and I knew if I could get to that turning point where we head towards downtown I would be ok. These were the hardest miles for me...but I tried to keep an ok pace and just relax. It worked. [side note: my mom reported to me that during this time...I was being lifted up in prayer at her church - WOW]
Miles 18-20 Toward downtown
Turning towards downtown with a little bit of a downhill on mile 18 - I think I ran a 8:45-9:00 minute mile and I was ok with that b/c I knew I wouldn't have that drive or energy after mile 20/22. It felt great! The neighborhood was nice and crowds were pretty good. I kept seeing this one family of 4 little girls (2 identical) who wanted high-fives (3 different places) and other families where spouses were taking care of little ones while their runners ran. Daddy signs & Mommy signs - can't wait for that with Ian!
Miles 20-22 Rough
I slowed down a lot - no more trees, exposed completely - people would get on the sidewalks to avoid the sun at that point, I went in between but didn't want to add any more distanct to my Garmin knowing it affected my legs every step of the way. So by this time I had lost A LOT of fluid and was taking in as much as I could every 1/2 mile - people were dropping off like flies or just walking - succumbing to the heat/cramps/the toll of the miles.
Miles 23-25  Focus
Just focusing on getting through THIS mile, and not trying to look ahead. This was soooo hard and the grueling part. We were exposed to the heat and at one point there was no wind, just heat. I passed a couple people who had pace-team-bibs on (meaning a sign on their back that said that their goal was this time -- for 3:45 & 4:00 hour runs - they were not going to complete that time this day) - I encouraged them. I ran past the 4:15 pace group and thought "Whoa, am I going to get 4:15 or less?" and then looked at my Garmin and realized that group was struggling including their pace leader.
Miles 25-26.2(.35)   Staring @ the ground
Some downhill but mostly uphill, no shade, and the finish...well I couldn't tell how far the finish was and it looked farther away than I had anticipated. So I just stared at the ground and stared at my Garmin.... .7 to go, .5 to go, .4 to go, .3 to go (each .1 mile felt like forever), .2 to go....then a pack of relay runners were in front of me and they were slowing down. I went against my better judgment and yelled "MOVE!" and darted out to the side to do the best sprint I had in me to finish. [normally I have a great kick the last .4 miles but not today].
The Finish
I came across - knew my time was good for me and then walked...but this was different and I got woozy and leaned on a volunteer and she led me shortly to a guy who looked like a marathon legacy and he gave me water and poured it all over my head, neck and shoulders. I had two volunteers on both sides at one point and then just one. She said, "should we take you to the medic tent?" and I said - very weakly, "no I just need to get water in me" - the water was so far away and I'm not exaggerating, it was far away. I creeped over to it and rested on the table (indication #1 - I'm very, very dizzy - go to medic tent)...kept trying to walk and probably looked like a drunk (indication #2 - people from the food tents were coming up to me to give me food instead of me going to them b/c they saw how I was). But I kept going, thinking that when I got enough water and food in me I would be fine - that is how all the other marathon races have went for Mark & I.
Recovery
Jill found me luckily and followed me along, got our picture taken and then sat down on a bench in the shade for a long time. I ate a banana, Lay's Original Baked potato chips for salt, a Grahamsandwich (PB & J) and drank and drank, but at one point there was no more water left - they were all out. Things were somewhat spinning but I was ok just watching people, a little nauseous but not bad. Jill told me of several people who crossed the finish spitting up water or blood. And we could hear ambulance sirens steadily throughout the rest of the time sitting there. But there were people laughing, families gathering, and people drinking beer nearby.  I didn't get to experience the "High" I had in previous races...this was completely different.
Hotel
I decided that we needed to get to the hotel b/c it was already past late-check out (great hotel again). Got there and somehow got a shower but my headache was getting worse - a migraine? Then the dizziness got worse then the nausea. I knew a Celebration Meal at Union Station (even though I wanted to go was not doable). I'm ashamed to say it but I felt so bad before we left that I just made myself throw-up to feel better but more fluid had left my body.
Traveling Home
We got in the car and then got into traffic and I just reclined back, closed my eyes and sipped on water & powerade. Wasn't hungry at all. I went in and out (sort of sleep but I wonder if I didn't pass out in the car) and then I called my doctor friends and Mark to get input. I didn't want to go to an ER especially in another state & asked "what do I need to look for if it gets bad?" After their input, stopping at a Subway to get salt packets and a sandwich & powerade. I sipped & nibbled for an hour and half-two hours. I really did think we would get to Jasper and into Indiana and I would be better. But once we stopped at the Rest Stop in Indiana, it wasn't better and I was dizzier than ever and nauseous and knew my body wasn't retaining. I was scared, very scared and tried to keep myself calm. I simply told Jill, we need to call 911 and I need fluids. She was calm.
Ambulance Ride
Now I've never ridden in an ambulance and I know how much they cost from working at the hospital but I knew my health at this point was more important than $500-$700 bill. Apparently a volunteer fire fighter arrived first, talked to me, then two fire trucks with country folks - no offense, it's Posey County and they were completely professional but Jill laughed, they all had their country accents & attire on. Then the EMT's arrived and they were great. I tried to stay calm and really wanted to burst into tears but didn't let myself. Got car sick and couldn't tell if I was dizzy from dehydration or the ambulance ride and got in the ER at Deaconness (I tried to convince them to take me to Jasper but no dice - unless I was Catholic then they'd take me to St. Mary's - well I'm not Catholic).
Deaconness ER
The ER apparently was crazy...and people had been waiting for 3 hours to get in - they swooped me on into a room and that was that. Fluid & 3-4 hours later, I was able to get up and walk to the bathroom, a little dizzy, felt like I got hit by a semi.  But finally I ate my celebration meal of a McDonald's hamburger, fries, & vanilla cone with powerade at 10:30pm. Great job Deaconness! Now I await the bill...but it was better to be safe than sorry...and it had gone to that sorry phase by the time I got there.
(PICTURES TO COME OF THE MARATHON)

4 comments:

  1. Kara,
    I have had the opportunity to meet you and spend some time with you. You are remarkable. It is so cool to see someone who has a variety of roles expand and grow both individually as well as in the role of a mother, wife,leader and so on. You give inspiration to many of us to not settle for less but to press on and discover who we are and what we are capable of doing. Kara you rock!!!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your determination Kara. Sorry you had health problems but I’m sure you’re glad to have been able to ‘run the race’. You’re an inspiration. I’m in the “hot, sunshine and fatigue of my ‘race’ and all I want to do is slow down or go to bed! This is a pain that I don’t know how to handle and some times don’t think I can. You go girl…go to encourage all of us spiritual and physical wimps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kara for posting this. You are such an inspiration for all people no matter what they are tackling. Thank you Lord for keeping Kara safe. Just take it easy for awhile. We need you. Mary C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I wondered why you didn't send a text or anything. Glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete