Sunday, August 5, 2012

Mind Games - Keeping the Motivation

I'm hoping to tap into this article after baby...we'll see. After doing the Yellow Springs Simply Women 5k last Saturday, I'm motivated to continue running even if baby and the belly is a little overbearing for me right now.

5 Easy Ways to Train Without Getting Bored or Giving Up
By Amy Cotta 
  1. Use the "next one" technique.  Focus on something in the distance and tell yourself, "I'm going to keep going at this pace until I hit that next ___." Then once you make it to that object find the next object to focus on. This technique can be used while running, biking and swimming. 
  2. Rock it out. A great play list on your iPod can make a long run or bike ride fly by. Load up your player with music that moves you and makes you want to move. Some of my favorite music has lyrics that inspire me. Other tunes have  a great beat to which I can set my running cadence. Yet other songs are just fun and fast and make me smile.   
  3. Remember you "why." If you read my last article Finding Your Why you'll remember that your why is that reason to be out there training or racing in the first place. My why  is my USMC son and our military. When I'm training or competing and I feel like giving up I remember that our military doesn't have that option. The thought of them gives me strength and carries me home or to the finish line. Your why, is a very powerful tool and inspiration. 
  4. Do intervals. It might sound simple (and it is) but it's very effective in making time go by faster. For example, if you are running, you might do speed intervals alternating from fast to slow. You can set your iPhone or training watch to count down the intervals for you. I use an iPhone application called Round Timer. It works great; it will signal me even as I'm listening to music. You can also do intervals in the pool by doing speed, stroke, or swim style intervals. On the bike or trainer you can do cadence intervals. When I do cadence intervals on the trainer time fly by!
  5. Scan your body. This is a great technique to use while doing any sport. Start by being aware of every muscle and joint in your body. Do you feel tightness anywhere? If so, focus on relaxing that area. How does your kick or stride feel? If it's not the way it should; fix it. This will help keep your mind busy while saving energy. As a bonus, this technique will help you save energy and avoid injury, because a tight body uses more energy and is more susceptible to injury. 

Follow my 70.3 Ironman in combat boots journey at http://www.GetUncomfortableDare.com and http://www.crowdrise.com/GetUncomfrotable 

Amy Cotta is a buys mom of 6 (grandmother of 2), the best selling author of Six Weeks to Skinny Jeans, and a contributor for JaneTV [www.jane.tv]. At age 39 Amy learned to swim to become an Iron Girl at the 2009 Lake Las Vegas IronGirl. Today you can find her preaching her motto "Get Uncomfortable" to all those who will listen. Her passion for mixing athletic events with charity is infectious. Amy has dedicated 2012 to raising money and awareness for the many needs of our military. You'll see Amy running 5k, 1/2 marathons, Iron Girl triathlons, and her first 1/2 IronMan all in USMC combat boots. Why in combat boots you ask? Her eldest son, Tyler is a United States Marine; every step she takes is a "Thank you" note to the men and women of this country who make sacrifices for us everyday. Besides, anyone can run in running shoes. Monies raised goest to support The Boot Campaign [www.bootcampaign.com] and Not Alone [www.notalone.com]. You can follow Amy's adventures via her websites www.GetUncomfortableDare.com and www.AmyCotta.com Later this spring you can watch a documentary on Amy's training for the Beach to Battleship half IronMan on Jane.tv

No comments:

Post a Comment