Saturday, August 25, 2012

What I might Learn (& Re-Learn)

Things I am learning (& re-learning) by Ali Edwards - I (Kara) was reminded of this blog post b/c Ian was born about one month earlier and wanted to reflect on some of these thoughts.  This was about Ali's second child Anna.

1. Typing one handed, with a nursing baby in the other arm, is not too hard (just takes a lot longer).
2. There is nothing better than just sitting and watching her facial expressions while she is sleeping.
3. Witnessing Simon's love for Anna is totally more amazing than I could have ever imagined.
4. I now have "kids." Still feels strange to say "the kids."
5. Simon is like a giant compared to Anna. I remember a couple people in the comments a few weeks back talking about how big Simon would seem after her arrival. It is so VERY true. Each time I give him a hug, rustle my hand through his hair, and just look at his face I can't believe how old he is – I don' think without Anna for comparison I would have been able to "see" him as he really appears (I saw many more little boy features).
6. Girls clothes really are more fun than boys.
7. I am having moments where I miss Simon. In the midst of so much joy & celebration I am
missing him and the way things used to be. I am working hard to set aside time for just me and him – to chat, to snuggle, to give him my undivided attention. I don't want to lose our connection in this time of transition. Bittersweet.
8. Taking a hot shower is one of my favorite parts of the day.
9. I love how Chris put his favorite photo of Anna as his phone wallpaper so he can whip it out and see her beautiful little face.
10. I really, really miss my Mom when she leaves after being here with us right after the births of both our kids. Just having her here and hanging out with her and having her take care of us is something I am so very thankful for – love you Mom. You are the best. These emotions seem even more powerful this time around as I glance over at Anna and have those "wow, I have a daughter" thoughts. The mother daughter bond is powerful in our family.
11. I can finally cough and blow my nose again without feeling like my incision is going to break wide open.
12. Listening to Simon talk to Anna is another favorite part of my day. Yesterday he was telling her all about Harry Potter. He says things like, "Baby Anna this is Obi Wan Kenobi." or "Baby Anna do you want to watch Harry Potter with me?" or "It's OK Anna, you are safe" when she cries.
13. Wireless internet and my laptop are something I am thankful for. For those of you surprised at my posting so soon after Anna's birth, some of the posts were planned in advance (like the giveaway) and others were done while I am sitting here on the couch nursing or holding Anna. So thankful for our big brown comfy couch.
14. Having your 10 year old washer & dryer die the day before a child is born is a total pain…especially if you are planning to use cloth diapers from the beginning. I ended up waiting and will start this next week after the new appliances are delivered.
15. Simon is having a challenging time at school right now with some behavior issues. The transitions at home seem to be impacting him in different ways this time around – one of which is acting out physically when he is frustrated. Hoping that this too shall pass sooner rather than later as we all settle into our new routine.
16. Over the last two weeks Simon has gone to be and woke up saying he is sick, hoping he will be able to stay home. It's gotta be hard for him to leave in the morning – especially with his favorite person (Grandma
Pati) and his new favorite person (Baby Anna) here at home.
17. Yesterday was my first really tough day. Overwhelmed. Tired. Weepy. Anna not interested in sleeping until late in the afternoon. Fighting a cold.
18. Remembering each day that tomorrow is another day; that I need to treasure these early moments and let go of my own personal expectations for how the day should go.

No comments:

Post a Comment