Sunday, August 5, 2012

Mentally Train Myself to Be Ok with Taking Time to Workout after Baby

Guilty Pleasures
The True Confessions of an Athletic Mother
By Kristen Hench  

I confess.... I am guilty. I love, love, love to workout and compete. I love to set a goal, push my body past where I have pushed it before; I like to sweat, to give it my all as I tackle a challenging workout or athletic pursuit. In this confession, I also feel the need to mention that I am a Mother. Many of you know that I am a Mother to two boys and wife to one amazing husband. I love them all dearly and devote my days and time to their growth and well-being. Of my loves comes my inner battle. Let me elaborate.....  

I am sure that most, if not all, Moms can identify with feeling "motherhood guilt". I know I sure can. After I became a mom, the idea snuck into my head that it was selfish to make the time to exercise. Suddenly there was always so much to do, so many new demands and responsibilities; getting in a workout while the baby was sleeping seemed selfish because there were so many other "more important" things to get done. I am here to tell you that while those feelings are normal, to fall prey to them is not the best choice. Remember, "putting the family first" does not mean that you should ignore your personal well-being. Feeling good physically and mentally undoubtedly makes us better at parenting; but in order to do that we need to mentally train ourselves to put aside that voice in our head.

One way to do that is through looking at our calendar and seeing what is there (and in some cases what is not). If there are many trips to the grocery store, doing laundry, and taking kids to camps, but no time to workout, then a change needs to be made. Once you can say "no" to something that is not a priority, you will feel much better when you use the free time to attend to something that is.
Thus, my guilty confession. This past Monday night I chose to take an hour out of my evening for a run rather then spend time with my family, I loved every moment of it, and we are all the better for it. I came home a rejuvenated mother and wife, ready to take on the tasks the evening had in store for me. I encourage all mothers to mentally train their inner voice, to take time for themselves, and make fitness a priority.
    

About Kristen Hench
 Kristen is currently a full-time triathlon coach, personal trainer, and kid wrangler. Her love and passion for the sport can be seen in many aspects of her life- as a competitor, coach, and fitness writer. Kristen races in sprint to iron distance races, 5K's to marathons and is the founder of Moms Who TRI (Train Race Inspire). She holds a Masters in Administration as well as a degree in Sports Medicine and a degree in Education with a Kinesiology focus. She is a Nationally Certified Athletic Trainer and Certified USA Triathlon. For more information about Moms Who TRI, visit www.momswhoTRI.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment