Thursday, January 21, 2021

Letting Go Series :: STUFF

I wrote this list in 2017.
In the Fall of 2014 I read "7: A Mutiny Against Excess" by Jen Hatmaker and Jesus opened my eyes wide open to my obsession with stuff, documenting life and emotional attachments to things. I longed to be rid of so many of my attachments that were holding me back and keeping me from God's leading. DISTRACTIONS REALLY.

In 2015 and 2016 I remember reading about The Minimalists and their perspective on "stuff" and what brings us "value" in this life. It intrigued me and helped motivate me to let go of many possessions. In 2017 I read Marie Kondo's books and then later went through "Soul Simplicity" by Courtney Carver and "The More of Less" by Joshua Becker as well as in 2018 "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning" by Margareta Magnusson. I had worked to get rid of a lot of stuff I had been holding onto for 20+ years including childhood items. In 2019 we moved and literally, got rid of half of our house (it was a vision of mine to do that and with moving, we finally did it)...but it was very hard.

"Our possessions possess us.
This is how we let go.
If a thing stops adding value, sell it.
If it doesn't sell in a week, lower the price.
If it doesn't sell in 30 days, donate it.
If a donation place doesn't accept, recycle it.
If it can't be recycled, trash it (as a last resort).
Once we let go, we're able to move on."
More essays, podcasts, and resources at Minimalists.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment