Monday, July 16, 2012

The Runner’s Heat Index & Pregnancy

I found this interesting - given the fact that I'm still running & pregnant - see pictures after 6 mile run - "glistening" LOL.


July 9, 2012 By  
We’re all too familiar with the heat index by this time of the year. You know, the one where they tell you the “real feel” of the day. It’s some sort of meteorological formula of heat plus humidity that spits out a number or range of numbers for how the day is going to feel. Around here lately, that index has been about 105 to 110, a couple of weeks running.
It got me to thinking–shouldn’t runners have their own heat index? I think it could go something like this:
Temperature + humidity + miles run + pace + time of day = how flipping hot it feels.
Maybe they could factor in hydration, too? So you’d get your “real feel” temperature and then drop it by x number of degrees depending on whether or not you took in water or electrolyte replacement, and how much of each.
I know I’m horrible with numbers (that’s why I’m a writer) so I’m not going to take a stab at devising this actual scale, but it anyone out there feels qualified, have at it.  In the meantime, drink up and find the shadiest route you can. September will be here before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment