Friday, February 19, 2010

Why I am Motivated...

I gave a talk at a Healthy Habits meeting at our church tonight and found myself so full of things to say - some motivating as to why I am motivated to run or strive to be healthy or just to reflect on my own journey since I began running and have run 3 marathons, 5-6 mini-marathons, 2 10-milers, 2 10k's and can't count the 5k's.

However, as much fun as it was to recall my own journey and the success and failure I felt at times, injuries I endured, and mental toughness I developed, what I feel was not said...was the real reason that I am motivated now. God has brought me so far in the past 4 years here in Jasper after leaving Louisville. He's taught me again and again what it means to live a life for Him and to give up the "me" story. I fall often and with injury (literally and figuratively) but the lesson comes up again and again. This life is not about me. It's not about my running times or that I even ran. It's about me being obedient to what He calls me to do and to use the gifts that He has given to me in ways that maybe I wouldn't have imagined.

It's about being obedient and disciplined (I'm getting the obedient part more and more but the disciplined part is what I keep kicking and messing up on). If I am disciplined then He can use me to touch others, to motivate and encourage them and to be in the places where He wants me to be at the right times for the particular people. Too often I use the "me" story to not do what is right..."I'm too tired, I need to rest, I just can't today, I'm sore..., it's too much" or my best one "more sleep or focus on myself will make me more aware of life and let me think". What a bowl of bologna!! :)

It's when I'm able to be in God's will and His mindset that things actually happen, growth comes more easily and I am so much more flexible. Trust in God's promises not in your own feelings...

No comments:

Post a Comment