Sunday, May 2, 2010

Flying Pig Half Marathon 2010

I continually find it interesting that every single race I run (6 half marathons later & 3 marathons) that each race is truly unique in its own right. I've done the Half twice now in Cinci and the full once and I LOVE the course, even when I feel like my lungs are going to explode up the hill on mile 6 and around Eden Park. And though I'm out of shape moreso than I ever have been for a race, I still got a 2:13 which is ok. 2:03 is my PR and I knew I was not going to hit that at all.

I had to do a 2:00:1:00 (run/walk) all the way up the hills because my legs weren't as prepared this year as in year's past but the downhill....woah that still felt great and I know I can fly by people every time...I just have to know that I will be humbled again when it comes to a flat or a hill where those same people I passed will somewhat creep up on me.

This year the change was....RAIN....RAIN....RAIN but it was warm rain and I was prepared. It kept me from having blisters and really cooled off everyone. We were all in the same boat. It began to feel good to me. Another difference the start is so packed but honestly I wouldn't have it any other way. I really do not like corral starts - they drive me crazy...get me over that start line in 5-15 minutes but not 30-60 minutes. I'm ok with it, and I inevitably always hear interesting conversations even if it might be complaining...and inevitably there will be walkers right at the start....sometimes 3 across - sometimes 5. PLEASE DO NOT EVER START BY WALKING UNLESS YOU ARE IN THE VERY BACK - IT IS ANNOYING!
Other differences: Our pit-crew (our parents) weren't with us this year as they usually are so that was different. We stayed in a Quality Inn that felt like we were in a horror movie as we walked through the halls and thought two dead children were going to pop out at any time (reference to a film I will never see), but the room was ok and nice.

Alas, some similarities - I still am so anxious about the morning parking situation and walking to the start. Since we were late to one 10k about 3 years ago in Louisville (really, really late) I just freak out - poor Mark but he does a little bit too. We always seem to have a spat before a race and it always turns out ok but it's intense. BEWARE IF YOU EVER COME WITH US - LOL.

But it still felt great to be there, to feel alive and feel your body unlike any other time...to know that your body is being cleaned out and that you just go. So many different body types that God made and wow.....I guess my hips aren't as big as I think compared to other women but geesh some of them kick my butt with speed. Some fighting cancer, some eating disorders, some to fight depression, and others just doing it to do it and mark it off a bucket list. I think my list keeps getting checked off...I guess I need to sky-dive next and not run another race.

The Expo was run and the meal after the race - YUMMY - Red Lobster with Whitney and Paula Quinn Ruff. Man that was great! and Diet Pepsi!!!! I love that meal - calories really don't count. So again...I miss the races and the city but I'm glad to be where we are and hope to do more but admit, would still like to do a triathlon - the stars just have to align just right and Ian will need to be a little bigger I think. And Mark did ggggrreeeaaatttt!! 1:54 time.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment