Monday, September 7, 2020

Singing Praises in the Dark

Singing Praises in the Dark has become a practice of mine over the last year and half.
It's the practice of intentionally singing praises instead of pleading with God when I don't understand His ways or His plans.


It's allowing my voice to come out in a way that continues to choose to believe that He is good and that His ways are good for me.

This practice has helped to shift my mind as I wrestle with Him about my questions and about our family's future. When we praise, we place God in His rightful place and that solves a 1,000 problems (as Oswald Chambers has said). We focus on Him and surrender our right and our entitlement to Him.

It has helped my heart to reopen to new possibilities and to new risks that I would otherwise not be able to honestly handle or even be willing to consider. It has allowed for some new friendships that I would have otherwise shied away from in fear of disappointment and fear of past hurts.

When we praise, we no longer have to control the outcome to our circumstances. We pause and consider how God views us and how He views the situation. We let go of our need to be right and to be in constant control of "how the story ends".

When we praise, we lose track of time and space and this is good for our head space, brain space, soul space and body. I feel a release of tension when praise comes out rather than doubt and fear when I have pleaded with God for answers. 

God reshapes my desires when I praise, because it's no longer about me or what I "think" I want. It is good. He is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment