Friday, July 17, 2015

Permission to...REFLECT, the creative path...

Permission granted to....REFLECT
Having a creative path…my mother showed me how to express through crafts and making gifts for other people. I thoroughly enjoyed creating things around the holidays with my mom, my aunts and cousins and making things with my hands. I loved color and whimsical patterns. I began to fall in love with writing in my creative writing class and placing down my thoughts through pen. I was drawn to deep thinking and abstract mindfulness.
In middle school, I excelled at most anything I touched including art. I found myself consumed by learning about it, almost perfectionistically but it directed me towards thinking about art therapy and helping others express their grief, their pain through art. I obtained awards and when I was doing a painting or a drawing, that is all that I was thinking about and was not distracted.
Unfortunately or fortunately as it may be, my path in art went elsewhere when I chose the road known and went into music with band and my older brother being a Senior. I chose band over art and I believe that is what my family desired and I did so mostly but I also experienced a lot of anxiety with performance. My sophomore year, I then chose again (out of familiarity and desires) to go into band again instead of art and this time it was because of a boy. The regret I have or at least the do-differently I would have done is I would have chosen art…if I would have had the courage and been able to let go of expectations and familiarity. I did not give myself permission.
My writing was my main mode of artistic expression for years and doing various projects until while in graduate school in Louisville, KY I met up with one of Mark’s coworkers, Cheryl and she introduced me to card making and from card-making I went into my own version of scrapbooking with my friend Candy in Jasper, IN and from making gifts then I felt led to give towards desiring to paint. I felt inspired by Ali Edward’s version of scrapbooking and documenting life. I used to read her blog almost every day for at least 4 years and from there I was introduced to Kelly Rae Roberts and her paintings. Her mantras on her paintings resonated with me so strongly. They were thoughts I had a lot and felt while doing therapy with others but I could never pin-point how to make my thoughts manifested into real life as she was able to do so.
I’m one who wants to go against the rules and not for the purpose of rebellion but for the simple truth that I enjoy adventure and I long to feel joy and not failure or disappointment. I want to experience life in the present moment and experiment with things. My small group at church went through Chazown and grew through writing out our Core Values, Spiritual Gifts and Past Experiences. I formed a purpose statement that has helped to direct me (nie push me) into some new directions. Hence, in April 2014, I took a risk and committed to Kelly Rae’s e-course Hello Soul, Hello Mantra with courage and seeking a change in mindset. Then almost one year ago today, I accepted a new position and transitioned into a NICU role very different from my previous medical social worker role at the hospital.

Since the e-course, I have created paintings and projects of love and purpose for people in my life that I felt led to do. The Lord has shown me parts of myself and some passions I did not know existed through the NICU role. AND I want to be creative with running and making it not just about myself but about others and about viewing oneself with grace and with respect and thwarting the darkness and negativity that pulls us all down at some point.

What I really desire is a tribe, a community of like-minded women to be encouraging to and to be encouraged by. I want to be surrounded by those who don’t know what they are doing creatively and yet they are doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment