Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Bourbon Chase

I'm so blessed to be with a man who gets it and allows it. Mark knew that I'd be gone a long while for this relay and he was willing which makes all the difference.

Synopsis: living with 6 other people in 1 van for over 27 hrs; lost count of port-a-potties I used; cold rain; no sleep (I tried); cheering on teammates & hundreds of strangers; beautiful distilleries; awesome pace for myself; great organized event; fun finish; new connections.

I was runner 6 out of 12 and had relatively challenging legs. My legs included: leg 6 @ 6:30pm-6.2 miles, leg 18 @ 3:15am-6.2 miles and leg 30 @ 1:15pm-5.3 miles up a HUGE hill that almost made me take out 3 people simultaneously and a car! AND it was worth it. 

Chris was so encouraging, gave me insight into Ironman training and taught me to tell my legs to "shut up" and it worked. :) Sara is my friend from college whom I played basketball with who got me into the race and the most fun about being with her was the conversations we had before and after the relay. Adam is such a great guy and I'm so thankful he brought those two together. Justin was also encouraging and seemed to know everybody around him - a kind of guy who knows no stranger. Christina was our captain who was the only one who had done the relay before and was so gracious with how she handled decisions and adversity. Michele definitely had a larger than life personality and shared some of her stories of her many travels overseas for work. We all kind of complained about our courses we ran and then celebrated at the end. Truly an enjoyable experience.





1 comment:

  1. So cool you had this opportunity, especially with Sara! Your right you have a wonderful husband! One in a million! Glad you had this chance and took it. Love u, Mom

    ReplyDelete