Saturday, March 2, 2013

the thoughts you think but don't say....

there's something inherently beautiful and raw about thoughts when in the presence of God: sometimes they don't make a lot of sense at the time until.....time passes and you grow and then suddenly those thoughts make so much more sense....

as a child I knew that God wove my body into being although I hated my body and wanted it to be different and like someone else's --> He's taught me that my body is for His use, unique and fits only me and my personality, it is His temple & what I put into it and do to it completely reflects on my relationship & respect for Him since He created it

as a teen I knew that God did not restrict me....He was not restraining me from partying, drinking, drugs, foul language, sex but rather that He did encourage me to abstain from things for my own good - and I did abstain even though I could have gone my own way --> now He shows me daily that obedience is a blessing & not a restriction nor a curse...(& totally not boring!)

as a college-ager I knew that prayer would be a powerful thing and that "divine" encounters would happen --> now as He's taught me to pray more and more genuinely & intentionally I know that He moves & that those "divine" encounters begin sequences in my life that move me

as a graduate student I knew that being genuine & listening to an opposing worldview or argument was the right thing to do --> now He's taught me that grace abounds when I speak to those whom I do not agree with and love them still while remaining steadfast in what I believe

as a new wife I knew that I would have to be there for my husband and help him as best as I can --> now God's showing me that you fight & battle for your husband & marriage relationship daily b/c of the pressures/expectations that warring against us from our culture & evil in general and that it's humbling & sometimes it's not very fun

as a new mother I knew that loving my child would also include disciplining with love and showing him how to establish healthy boundaries --> now God's showing me that each child works with different methods and that their hearts are uniquely built to crave love

as a daughter of Christ I know that my identity is not my own --> now He's teaching me daily to surrender, abandon my ambitions for just myself, give up my pride (man do I have a lot of pride!!), give up the control, allow myself to be "with" Him, serve others, focus my energy on Him and utilize that energy to also bless my family

as a runner I know that only He gives me the ability to move and to coach others --> He continually teaches me that the achievements and accomplishments with races really doesn't mean much, it's the training that makes the real change in my life & my heart

as a questioner I know that asking the tough questions leads to growth, perspective & maturity --> He continually teaches me that exposing my doubts and allowing myself to live into the hard questions brings me closer to others & to Him  (these are some of those questions: where do I feel pain...what do I fear?...who do I trust?...when will I be vulnerable...? what's in my heart? where do I hurt right now?...am I being real?...what don't I want others to know?...why do I strive to be liked?...what if somehow I won't matter?...what if who I am isn't significant?...what is in my heart?...where am I not surrendering?

Check out this website: http://thoughtquestions.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment