Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Christmas Day

A Thrill of Hope...
Waiting Expectantly...
Savoring the Present and the Presence of family...
Remembering years past with loved ones who have left us...
Recalling that moment when I found out Santa Claus was represented by many people...
Opening the gift that I wanted so badly...
Eating my dad's pancakes in the morning (they are like crepes and THE BEST)...
Waking my parents up before the crack of dawn because I was so excited...
Peeking at the presents early and then carefully placed the tape back on (only one year - I think)...
Sitting by the candlelight and Christmas lights pondering what that night's years ago meant to this world when a little baby was born in a stable (cave) with animals around and 'unseen' by the world...
Reading the Christmas story...
Singing carols in a circle with the Cassell family and being so obnoxious with everyone...
Hanging out every Christmas Eve with the Price family & doing our gift exchange... (until my grandmother passed my Junior year of high school)
Listening to the Christmas music (all genres) and humming along...
Unwrapping stocking stuffers has always been a favorite of mine (especially those from my mom) because it was the little things that made me laugh and brought me joy...yes chocolate...brought me joy...
Taking a Morning Run to clear my mind and warm up my body...(a favorite tradition now for me)

When you have your own family, you can set your own pace and your own traditions. This is both an opportunity and an expectation. I miss the magic of being young and although I catch glimpses of this with my boys now...it's different. I enjoy the hunt of looking for gifts for them, but I do not buy literally into the consumerism. I seek the traditions of having an Advent Calendar, opening little gifts and surprising them with pajamas dinners. The build-up to this day feels different. We use a stuffed blue Star "Starry" instead of an Elf on the Shelf to demonstrate the days leading up to Christmas and watch as he leads us to focus on where Jesus was born.

It is no longer filled with school events (because their school doesn't have a program) nor church events (because our church does not do a separate program with rehearsals). My boys have never desired to wait in line to meet a white bearded man in red robbing nor have they been brought up to believe in just one "real" Santa Claus. Rather, the story of St. Nicholas and his good deeds and his giving heart. They would rather give and surprise others. Now don't get me wrong, they LOVE receiving too. But it's different.

We rarely watch advertising commercials during this time because we use Netflix and Amazon Prime. It's different than growing up with Toy commercials bombarding the TV during every holiday movie. I remember finding out there were new toys each time I saw one and I wanted more. I even knew what Christmas was about growing up but it didn't stop my wanting. It's just different today, not better or worse, just different.

I do relish watching my boys play with their new gifts even if there are not many. I enjoy making them breakfast on this morning - whether pancakes or just blueberry muffins (from a box) as was the case this morning.

It's still meaningful and it still matters. That is today, not just another day, but it is our today.


  




No comments:

Post a Comment