Wednesday, May 25, 2016

I am a Renegade

ren·e·gade
ˈrenəˌɡād/
 noun
  1. 1an individual who rejects conventional behavior



I no longer want to conform to the 'American Dream' and the haste and hurriedness that this culture proclaims as successful and beneficial. I see only unfulfilled hearts that long for space to think and to experience. I no longer want to feel like my principles and what I believe in is "untolerable" and that I'm a bigot because I believe something different than someone else. I no longer feel bound to believe that I am suppose to look like the magazine covers and if I don't, that I have somehow failed. I no longer want to sit in silence working to love the unlovable while inconsiderate loud-mouth people (who like their comfort zones) bash another's life because someone is at a different place or season in life than they are--or that their struggles are soley by choice with intention. I no longer want to believe that the education I received is the ONLY avenue for change.

I believe that ordinary, regular people can impact others for the good. I believe that a smile is worth much more than a stare or a whisper. I believe that I am no better than another person. I believe that others' struggles may be more than they can handle and that I need to give grace and love. I believe that God made my body as it is and that I am responsible to care for it and put into it what is needed AND NOT what is always wanted. I believe that my education is helpful and that my experience in life is of even more value. I believe that we are all to thrive and not just to survive. I believe that we will all be held accountable for our motives and actions in this life. I believe that although I don't like the selection for this year's presidential election, that I am to pray for my leaders and hold them accountable to what they say they will or will not do. I believe that pessimism and cynicsm are toxic to one's health but that sarcasm can be healthy and fun if not directed at someone. Lastly, I believe that I am not alone and that others feel this way too but simply may not say anything because of others' perceptions. 

I have many friends from many different backgrounds who have views that I wholey disagree with; however, if you need a meal, a prayer, help of some sort I am willing to be present. Our differences do NOT have to be at the center of our relationships. Love and grace are to be...it's that simple. We can dialogue about it and be respectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment