Thursday, December 24, 2009

5 Reasons I will Probably Tell my Kids that Santa is Not Real

As a parent I want to make sure they don't miss what Christmas is really about, namely the birth of Jesus Christ. So in addition to watching endless Elf reruns, Mark and I will make sure to read the Bible story and to try and teach our kids about generosity and developing a giving heart.

I'm thinking we will also tell our kids Santa is not real. I know, many people may be shocked that I could break the hearts of our kids over something so trivial. "Just let them have fun with it for a few years," you're thinking. Well, as they are little we'll probably take our time with it and before anyone flings tomatoes and calls Mark a Grinch (LOL) you can relax, because I've been told that many other people's kids don't believe them when they tell the kids Santa isn't real.

Here are 5 reasons why I tell the kids Santa is not real. ~Written by Brentin Balvin
1. I want them to know Jesus is the giver of gifts, not some jolly fat man.
2. I don't want them to develop legalistic hearts thinking they can ever 'earn' anything by their good works alone.
3. I want them to know Daddy and Mommy love them and delight in seeing their joy on Christmas - that is why they get presents.
4. I want them to be able to trust Daddy and Mommy's word and I should never use lies to manipulate the behavior of my children (i.e., eat your beans or Santa's not coming!).
5. I want them to know that Christmas is about celebrating Jesus birth and his coming to save the world, and it is not about trees/lights/cookies/reindeer with glowing noses (though I do like all of these).

No comments:

Post a Comment